Britain says Russia plans to hold referendums in newly occupied territories in Ukraine

Ukrainian authorities say the last two operating reactors at the Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant have been shut down due to fires and damaged power lines, heightening fears of a potential accident as the facility was disconnected of the Ukrainian electricity network for the first time.

The August 25 announcement by state energy operator Enerhoatom comes as foreign officials warn of potential disaster and continue to push Russian and Ukrainian forces to do more to protect Europe’s largest nuclear power plant. .

Live briefing: Russia’s invasion of Ukraine

RFE/RL Live briefing gives you all the latest developments on the ongoing invasion of Russia, how Kyiv is fighting back, Western military aid, the global response and the plight of civilians. For all of RFE/RL’s coverage of the war, click here.

Russia has controlled the facility for about two weeks after invading Ukraine on February 24, but allowed Ukrainian engineers to stay and operate the plant, whose first reactor entered service in 1985.

Fighting near the plant between Russian and Ukrainian forces fueled fears of a crash. Ukrainian officials have also warned that Russia may try to disconnect the plant from the grid, a move that would put a strain on Ukraine’s struggling economy, especially as winter approaches.

“The actions of the invaders caused a complete disconnection from the [facility] from the power grid – the first in the plant’s history,” Enerhoatom said in a post on Telegram.

Disconnecting the plant is considered potentially dangerous because a failure of the emergency power systems could lead to loss of coolant and result in fuel meltdown in the reactor core.

In a later statement, the UN’s nuclear watchdog, the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said Ukrainian authorities had informed it that the last regular power line supplying the plant with electricity was working again after being cut off earlier.

This meant that emergency backup systems that help cool the plant’s reactors would likely remain operational and prevent a meltdown.

Enerhoatom’s announcement came the same day the IAEA chief said Kyiv and Moscow both agreed that UN watchdog staff should go and inspect the situation at Zaporizhzhya.

Speaking to France 24 television on August 25, Rafael Grossi said talks over access to the facility were progressing and that “we are very, very close” to an agreement on a visit.

The Zaporizhzhya plant has six Soviet-designed reactors, but only two remained in operation amid the fighting.

As the Russian invasion entered its seventh month, President Vladimir Putin signed a decree increasing the size of the country’s armed forces by 137,000.

There was no immediate explanation for the reason for the decree, which will take effect on January 1, but Western and Ukrainian officials said Russia had suffered significant losses in the Ukraine conflict and was struggling to replace its staff.

A senior US official said earlier this month that between 70,000 and 80,000 Russian troops had been killed or injured since February 24.

The death toll from a Russian rocket attack on a train station in the southern Dnipropetrovsk region on August 24 has risen to 25 people. Deputy head of Ukraine’s presidential office Kyrylo Tymoshenko also said at least 31 people were injured in the attack on Chaplyne station.

The attack came on the day Ukraine marked its 31st anniversary of independence from the Soviet Union – and the sixth month since the onslaught of the Russian invasion.

The Russian Ministry of Defense acknowledged the strike on Chaplyne station, but said it had targeted a Ukrainian train which was transporting ammunition to the front line.

Earlier on August 25, Russian forces bombarded the central city of Kryviy Rih with cluster munitions, local military administration chief Oleksandr Vilkul said on Telegram, adding that so far no victim or damage had not been reported.

Cluster munitions have been banned by most countries due to their devastating and indiscriminate effect on military personnel and civilians.

Human Rights Watch said in a report released Aug. 25 that Russia has used cluster munitions extensively since invading Ukraine, while Ukrainian forces appear to have used them at least three times during the war.

WATCH: No soldier left behind: Two Ukrainian mothers fight to recover their sons’ remains

Cluster munitions, which can be fired by artillery and rockets or dropped by aircraft, open up in the air, spreading numerous bombs or cluster munitions over a wide area.

Since many bombs do not initially explode, they can maim and indiscriminately kill military personnel and civilians, including children.

Neither Russia nor Ukraine are parties to the 2008 Convention on Cluster Munitions which bans this type of ammunition and has so far been ratified by 110 countries and signed by 13 others.

“Russia’s widespread use of cluster munitions in Ukraine is a sobering reminder of what the Convention must overcome if it is to succeed in ending the human suffering caused by these indiscriminate weapons,” said Mary Wareham, advocacy director of the arms division of Human Rights Watch. .

“All countries must condemn the use of these weapons in all circumstances,” she added.

Comments are closed.